Barney has been engaged in a 40 year multi-faceted career that has spanned serving as CEO of an early-stage company, CEO, Europe for a large scale power and utility enterprise, energy project development, project and corporate financing, senior board positions, frequent interaction with public sector officials, and government service. He has engaged in extensive international work, including living and working in Europe for six years.
Prior to joining HamiltonClark Barney was:
- Member of the Board and Chair of the Markets Committee of the ISO New England, the regional authority responsible for electric grid reliability, transmission planning and wholesale power market operations in New England.
- Member of the Board and then Board Chair of Azure Power Global. Azure is one of the largest solar power developers in India.
- Operating Partner at Denham Capital, where he served on the boards and as a strategic advisor to five portfolio companies, engaged in capital raising, non-recourse project financing and exits. Companies involved geothermal power, metals processing, ethanol storage and fertilizer.
- CEO of H2Gen Innovations, a venture capital backed company that developed innovative hydrogen generation and gas purification equipment. Sold to a major industrial gas company.
- Group CEO, Europe, for Mirant Corporation, where he oversaw business development, power trading, and was Chair of the Supervisory Board of Bewag, the electric utility serving Berlin, Germany, and Chair of WPD, the electric distribution company serving southwest England and Wales.
- Executive VP, Oxbow Power, where he was responsible for business development and project financing of geothermal and co-generation power plants.
- Executive VP at Lehman Brothers, raising debt and equity for non-recourse project financings.
- Special Assistant to the Undersecretary of State for Economic Affairs, US Department of State
Corporate Boards, Non-Profits, and Professional Associations
- Member of the Advisory Board, Commonweal Ventures.
- Former Mayor, currently Vice Mayor, Town of Chevy Chase, MD, and member of the Town Council.
- Former board member of the Washington chapter of the US Association of Energy Economics
- Plays alto saxophone, Rockville Concert Band
Education, Securities Licenses
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Studies, Magna Cum Laude, Harvard University
- Master of Public Affairs, Princeton School of Public and International Affairs (formerly, the Woodrow Wilson School.)
- Series 63, 73 and 82 securities license