Robert H. Edwards Jr.
Rob has spent 25 years in a series of roles in banking, project development and finance, government service and law focused on companies and projects in the climatetech, renewable energy, electric vehicles and related sectors.
Prior to joining HamiltonClark he was:
- Director, Outreach and Business Development, U.S. Department of Energy Loan Programs Office, where he led 20 professionals responsible for meeting with, entrepreneurs, CEOs, CFOs, companies, VC investors, and investment bankers to curate bankable companies and projects for application to the Loan Programs Office, Washington, DC
- Managing Director, Policy, Business Development and General Counsel S-3 Energy, where along with his partners developed and structured energy storage and solar+storage projects, Atlanta, GA
- Partner and Co-Head Energy, Project Finance and Clean Technologies Practice, Kilpatrick Townsend where he co-led the firm wide energy transition practice, Washington, DC
- Executive Director, JP Morgan Global Commodities Group where he served as a key member of the Project Finance and Structured Finance desk advising clients on commodity hedges to address risks for power, gas-to-liquids and other commodity conversion projects. He also advised clients on federal government policy and regulatory developments and the potential impacts on energy transition projects.
- Deputy General Counsel for Energy Policy, U.S. Department of Energy where he led a staff of 47 lawyers covering a wide range of legal and energy policy issues for the Office of Electricity, the Office of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency and the Office of Fossil Energy. Rob led the negotiations for the $5.9 billion ATVM loan to Ford Motor Company, and $456 million ATVM loan to Tesla Motors. Rob reviewed all LPO loans for risk structure, consistency with DOE regulations and private market practices, and advised the Credit Review Board on all loans brought before the Credit Review Board from June 2009 through June 2011.
- Partner, Hunton & Williams, Energy and Project Development and Finance Team where he spent 13 years advising energy companies on project finance, M&A transactions in the United States and globally.
Corporate Boards, Non-Profits, Professional Associations, and Awards
- NREL Energy Executive Selection 2015 – National Renewable Energy Lab honor issued by the U.S. Department of Energy
- DC Super Lawyer, Energy and Environment, 2016-2018
- Co-Chair, D.C. Schools and Scholarships Committee, Harvard Alumni Association
- Member, Board of Trustees, Landon School, Bethesda MD
Education, Securities Licenses
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics, Magna Cum Laude, Harvard University
- Master of Business Administration, Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Juris Doctor, Stanford Law School
- Certificate, Fundamentals of ESG Investing – Columbia Business School Executive Education
- Certificate, Making Corporate Boards More Effective – Harvard Business School Executive Education
- In process of obtaining Series 63 and 79 securities licenses